We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink... ~Epicurus
Everyone's New Year resolution: to lose weight! Or at least lose some flabs... Some announce it publicly, others deny it but secretly hope to do the same. After a few months, most give up... it's just too difficult. With all kinds of different food we have, it's virtually impossible. Coupled with the many lunches, dinners, tea breaks that I have had since the beginning of the year, sigh.. I submit to the inevitable.
It's a good problem, actually... What do people normally do when they meet up with their friends? Eat! Drink! Think about it. There's just something about spending time over meals. For one, it's much easier to talk sitting down than to talk and walk. It's also more personal than chatting over the telephone or the internet. Eating & drinking also serve as a punctuation, or a pause to conversation.. or even the topic of conversation!
The year started with a New Year dinner... followed by the Chinese New Year season, whereby food was unavoidable. There were also some dinner gatherings with friends when food was in abundance. There's really nothing like coming together and enjoying food together, taking time to eat as well as enjoying the pleasure of each other's company. Some conversations were meaningful, others fun. Each of them, however, were opportunities to discover something more about someone else.
So, although I may be somewhat vain, I think an expanding waistline is a small price to pay for getting to know people. I have discovered that every once in a while, if I am open to it, I find gems in different people. People whom I never thought I'd be friends with. People who are total opposites to who I am. It's definitely worth it. Getting to know people takes time and effort.. and food! Now, all I need is some sit-ups, a little time on the bike and occasional swims...
It's a good problem, actually... What do people normally do when they meet up with their friends? Eat! Drink! Think about it. There's just something about spending time over meals. For one, it's much easier to talk sitting down than to talk and walk. It's also more personal than chatting over the telephone or the internet. Eating & drinking also serve as a punctuation, or a pause to conversation.. or even the topic of conversation!
The year started with a New Year dinner... followed by the Chinese New Year season, whereby food was unavoidable. There were also some dinner gatherings with friends when food was in abundance. There's really nothing like coming together and enjoying food together, taking time to eat as well as enjoying the pleasure of each other's company. Some conversations were meaningful, others fun. Each of them, however, were opportunities to discover something more about someone else.
So, although I may be somewhat vain, I think an expanding waistline is a small price to pay for getting to know people. I have discovered that every once in a while, if I am open to it, I find gems in different people. People whom I never thought I'd be friends with. People who are total opposites to who I am. It's definitely worth it. Getting to know people takes time and effort.. and food! Now, all I need is some sit-ups, a little time on the bike and occasional swims...

No comments:
Post a Comment