Monday, January 16, 2006

Little hands, big passions..

My 5-year-old niece, taught me what it is to be enthusiastic and passionate about something. Two days ago, she went for art class. It was her first class, and she was elated that she was going for art class. In the morning, she put on her blue Power Puff girl watch, and told me the time. "It's 2:53, aunty." I looked at her watch and it was telling the wrong time, but I didn't really take much notice. "Uh huh..", I murmured. We then went downstairs, and I made breakfast for everyone -- scrambled eggs with cheese.. yummy... After much messiness and noise over breakfast (since both my niece and nephew were around), the kids decided that they wanted to watch tv.

Cartoons were the order of the day. My parents then went to the market, leaving the kids with me at home. The morning passed by rather uneventfully.. or perhaps I was used to the kids noise and attention seeking ways. I played with them and we had a good laugh too. However, every now and then, my niece would tell me the time on her watch. I finally decided that I should correct her watch, and did so. I told her that it was now showing the correct time. She was pleased. After a while, she said, "It's 11:25". "Yes", I replied nonchalantly. After a few minutes, she shouted, "Aunty, it's 11:30." "Yes, I know the time.", I replied. She then said, "What time are we going to go? Shall we go soon?" "No", I said. "Your class is at 2:30. We will only leave at 2:00." I have to admit that her concept of time is still rather blurry at the moment, so it took some time for me to explain to her.

I was rather tickled at her behaviour. She was just so excited to go for her art class! 2:00pm came, and I drove her to her art class. Although a little pensive at first, she soon enjoyed herself, drawing and painting with the other children. As soon as her class ended, she showed me what she had done. She was grinning from ear to ear. After a short trip to the little girls room, she wanted to go home straight away. I wondered what the hurry was. My question was soon answered when we reached home. "Grandma, look what I have done.", she said excitedly, with a broad smile on her face. She did the same to grandpa, and later, to her mummy and daddy. Although it was a simple painting, she was very proud of it.

As I observed my niece, besides feeling rather amused, I thought to myself, what a passion she has! How I wish I had such a passion and enthusiasm for something. Instead, much of life has slowly evolved into mundanity and doldrums. Idealism has been replaced by realism, and dreams have been replaced by practicality. As usual, my head takes precedence over my heart, as do facts over feelings, which may not necessarily be the best thing every time. Observing my niece, I realised that I need to rediscover the things in life that make me feel more alive. After all, I only get one chance to live. So I must live, and not just exist. Now, the big question is, what are those thing?

No comments: