It has been just over a month since I started my a new chapter in my life. For the most parts, it has been good. After the initial struggle of getting up early and staying awake through the whole afternoon, I've got quite used to the routine. There is so much to learn in my new workplace. Sometimes I feel so incompetant because of lack of knowledge, being new to the industry and all. Also, being not the friendliest person in the world, it has been quite a challenge to have to deal with people.
Being an inquisitive person by nature, finding out new information and learning new things has been exhillarating and stimulating in an intellectual sense. I've also found a library to go to, which is really cool, despite its limited collection. So what if the books are old -- there is still so much to learn, from so many different areas. I have made it a point to borrow books of different genres and have started reading. Someone once said that "we read to know that we are not alone" -- how very apt indeed, although the irony is that when you read, it is most often an individual activity!
Dealing with people, however, has been very challenging. I sometimes "force" myself to be friendly. There have been times when I would battle with myself and say things like, "go on, say hi, make small talk". For the times that I decided to do so, good results ensued. The other thing is the telephone. Not being one who loves chatting on the phone, I struggled many times when I had to make calls to people -- worse still, people whom I've never met and are much more senior than I am. I'd go through in my puny brain what I had to say first. I can say that the calls have mostly been successful. Learning to be patient no matter how unfriendly, angry or nasty the response is have helped me to be objective.
Above all, I always pray for two things when I go to work - wisdom and favour. I know my limitations and my hang ups, and I definitely need wisdom as I learn everything from scratch. Favour with people is also very essential... Sometimes I feel a bit like a fake, having to "force" myself to be different, in order to carry out my job effectively. Perhaps I will change? Perhaps one day I wouldn't have to force myself anymore? Only time will tell...
Being an inquisitive person by nature, finding out new information and learning new things has been exhillarating and stimulating in an intellectual sense. I've also found a library to go to, which is really cool, despite its limited collection. So what if the books are old -- there is still so much to learn, from so many different areas. I have made it a point to borrow books of different genres and have started reading. Someone once said that "we read to know that we are not alone" -- how very apt indeed, although the irony is that when you read, it is most often an individual activity!
Dealing with people, however, has been very challenging. I sometimes "force" myself to be friendly. There have been times when I would battle with myself and say things like, "go on, say hi, make small talk". For the times that I decided to do so, good results ensued. The other thing is the telephone. Not being one who loves chatting on the phone, I struggled many times when I had to make calls to people -- worse still, people whom I've never met and are much more senior than I am. I'd go through in my puny brain what I had to say first. I can say that the calls have mostly been successful. Learning to be patient no matter how unfriendly, angry or nasty the response is have helped me to be objective.
Above all, I always pray for two things when I go to work - wisdom and favour. I know my limitations and my hang ups, and I definitely need wisdom as I learn everything from scratch. Favour with people is also very essential... Sometimes I feel a bit like a fake, having to "force" myself to be different, in order to carry out my job effectively. Perhaps I will change? Perhaps one day I wouldn't have to force myself anymore? Only time will tell...

No comments:
Post a Comment